Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Building a Composter 101

Because we're planning to garden organically, we've decided that composting will be necessary. Plus, we're always looking for new ways to keep our stuff out of the landfills. Until I actually studied composting, I thought composting was simply throwing your materials in a pile until it discentigrates. I wondered how it wouldn't get stinky. Now I know better...

When picking a composter, you need to decide whether you are going to buy one (lots of $$$) or you can make your own (less $$$)! If you know us, then you know that we always go the cheap route, so we're building one! Here are a couple of ideas I found that I thought I'd share.

I saw this cool video by "The Urban Homesteaders" about how to make an easy-to-use composting bin that spins on a pole to make the breaking-down process faster. Check it out!



There's also a page online about how to make a metal screen rotating composter that takes only 2-3 hours start to finish. You can find it at: http://www.instructables.com/id/Composter-Drum-Style/ Depending on the weather where you live, this one's in a container that may require a tarp to be wrapped around it. Be sure to read the comments found below the instructions!

If you compost, I'd like to hear what kind of a composter you use and what you think of it! Also, let me know what you think of these two options. Seeing as how I'm new to the world of composting, I'm not sure which I like better at this point.

Until next time,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message below. We would love to hear what you think!