Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Homemade Sinus Wash-- Money Saver!

Irrigating your sinuses is an excellent way to relieve colds, allergies and rhinitis. Sinus irrigation was the only thing that got me through a horrible case of pregnancy rhinitis. I have allergies, so I still irrigate 1-2 (or more) times a day. There are two ways to irrigate: there's the Neti Pot, then there's the bottle. Which one you'll prefer is completely up to the individual.

Very cost-effective:
A box of pre-packaged sinus rinse packets is about $10 for 100 packets. You can make your own for just a fraction of the cost. I bought my extra fine sea salt in bulk at a local health food store at $0.86/per pound! I scooped up a big bag full, and walked out having spent just $1.09. A container of baking soda is about $0.50. This mixture makes more than 4 cups!

Here's what I found works:

Mixure: 3 parts extra fine sea salt to
             1 to 1 1/4 parts baking soda 

Open a big ziploc bag, dump in your salt (in this case, 3 cups) and baking soda (I started with 1 cup), close the bag and shake it like mad.



Fill your bottle or Neti pot with lukewarm water, testing the temperature against your inner wrist.





 
Next, measure 1 rounded teaspoonful of your mixture and dump into your bottle or Neti Pot.

Replace lid and shake for a second or two. After that, rinse just as you would with any other wash. If it burns when you use this ratio, simply add more baking soda to the mixture.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message below. We would love to hear what you think!