Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Riding to work

I decided to start riding my bike to work to get some exercise and improve my health.  I hope as a secondary effect that I will save some money on gas as well.  So far I have done 3 test runs to get a feel for how long it will take and how tired I will be when I get there.

On the first run I only had a short amount of time so I rode about half the distance to work in the mist and rain.

On the second practice run I made it all the way to work (6 miles one way) and back with the kids in the bike trailer.  I went really well and I felt great when I got back home.

On the third practice run I rode to a park close to work so that the kids could play for a while and eat the sack lunch my wife packed.  On this ride I almost died.  The trip there is slightly up hill and that day there was a 20 to 40 mph headwind.  Unfortunately, the wind stopped on the way back so the super humid air was a killer.  I hope that tomorrow I will be able to do my first real ride to work.   I would like to go today but have a meeting after work that I have to drive to.

1 comment:

  1. Let us know how it goes. You live in such a great place for bike riding -- great bike trails and basically flat land (just think of the HILLS where we live!) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message below. We would love to hear what you think!